Dear friends and family,
Please bear with the text--just want to make sure you get all the info you need ! Please feel free to pass this on if you have other friends who may be interested in the cause.
Thanks in advance for your time and generosity!!
xo jenko
Why am I going to Pakistan?
To staff a conference at the University of Gujrat with 14 other US and UK youth leadership trainers from CASC
and GYL. We are the inaugural bid at a long-term partnership with the
University to establish a peer to peer youth leadership program. Our
vision is that Pakistani youth are empowered to make change in their
communities now and in the future, as well as train and mentor each
other with skills and tools from our training curriculum.
Official summary of the project can be found here.
How can your donation help?
Educational opportunities can be hard
enough to come by, let alone if you're growing up in a nation that has
been battered by war. These students have a unique opportunity to gain
training and experience, which they can then continue to share and teach
through the establishment of a well-developed program. Depending on the
success of this first conference, the Ministry of Education and the
University of Gujrat will determine if they will support this program to
continue.
The more experienced staff we have on
hand, the better we are able to deliver a successful conference and
experiences for each of the participating students.
The PayPal widget to the right is the easiest method for sending your donations, if you'd like to mail it just drop me a line and I'd be happy to send you my mailing address.
The PayPal widget to the right is the easiest method for sending your donations, if you'd like to mail it just drop me a line and I'd be happy to send you my mailing address.
Why I want you to help :)
I have volunteered and donated 10yrs of
service to CASC because I believe in the curriculum, the process and the
people. The skills I acquired through my 10yrs have empowered me to
start an educational pilot program when I was studying abroad in
Cameroon, W Africa; it has given me tools to use when I was a
young-fresh-out-of-college middle school teacher in the Bronx, NY; and
my experiences working with diverse groups and processes have made me a
valuable asset to my team at the non-profit I currently work for. I have
multiple family members who have become involved with the organization,
and my friends from CASC are part of my daily support system!
I have become passionate about international education development because I believe that all students should have not only equal quality in education, but also opportunities. Education is an amazing institution; it's the first thing to spring back post-conflict, and a cornerstone to improving communities.
The University of Gujrat is predominantly female, and the
benefits for improving education and opportunities for women is overwhelming: as female education rises, infant and child mortality
fall and family health improves; women's increased earning capacity (via
education) positively effects child nutrition; and children--especially
daughters--of educated mothers are more likely to be enrolled in school
and have higher levels of educational attainment. All this leads to
better educating the other 50% of the population, and allowing them to
be more politically active and better informed of their legal rights.
I believe this small step has the possibility of radiating a huge amount of positive change.
Who are CASC and GYL?
CASC is the California Association of Student Councils,
a 60+ year old organization that has been dedicated to leadership
training for youth in CA, and the world over. CASC has participated in
numerous landmark events over the years including, a youth summit in
Aomori, Japan to help youth speak out on whether a nuclear plant should
be built in their region; training of S African HIV/AIDs youth leaders;
designed special project conferences for schools to address "at risk"
students and community building; as well as being the genesis for the
creation of a school where the student leaders teach a leadership course
3x week for the primary school students.
For more information about CASC please go here.
Our curriculum covers, but not limited
to: conflict resolution; team dynamics and teambuilding; collaborative
decision making; intrapersonal communication styles and tools; project
planning and managing; how to run an effective meeting; cross-cultural
awareness and social development.
GYL is the Global Youth Leaders, and is our newest international partner in youth leadership training. Our fellow international partners are the Associated Young Leaders, based in Russia; Association of Young Leaders, Kazakhstan and the Centre for Volunteering and Community Action at the University of Lancashire, UK.
If you'd like any more information or
are interested in getting yourself/others involved in CASC, please feel
free to drop me a line.
Thanks again, your time and generosity are much appreciated!! xo jenko
Thanks again, your time and generosity are much appreciated!! xo jenko
No comments:
Post a Comment